Horrifying footage has emerged which shows a gunman running up to a BMW during rush hour traffic, and shooting the driver.
The incident happened in Kingsbury, close to Edgware in North London. The 51-year-old female driver had been waiting in a traffic jam at approximately 8.40am on 14 May when the shooting occurred.
The driver, who had been on her way to work, has fortunately avoided any serious injuries. Three bullet casings were recovered from the scene and police are treating the incident as an attempted murder.
The gunman still remains at large, and police have released the footage as they search for his whereabouts.
The video – shot in broad daylight – shows the balaclava clad gunman approaching the vehicle from the pavement.
After shooting the woman, the man fled down the road before getting into an unknown vehicle, which proceeded in the direction of Queensbury Station.
A Scotland Yard spokesperson said:
Police were called at 08:40hrs on Monday, 14 May to reports of a shooting at the junction of Beverley Drive and Stag Lane in Brent.
Officers and firearms officers attended the scene, along with a specialist police dog, to speak to the victim and contain the scene.
The victim, a 51-year-old woman, told officers that she had left her home at around 08:30hrs to make her way to work.
At the traffic lights on Beverley Drive and Stag Lane the suspect approached the car and fired three times towards her vehicle.
The driver’s window smashed first and the victim remembers hearing two other shots being fired into her car. One of the bullets caused the passenger window to smash. She was not injured.
You can watch the dramatic scenes unfold for yourself below:
The suspect has been described as being a dark-skinned black man. He is around 5ft 8ins in height and has a medium build. It is thought he may also have styled his hair in short dreadlocks.
In addition to the balaclava, the suspect wore his hood up and was dressed in a dark coloured zip up tracksuit top and trousers.
Police officers from Trident and Area Crime Command, the Metropolitan Police’s anti-gang crime unit, are currently investigating this incident.
Detective Inspector Tom Williams – who is leading this investigation – has made the following statement:
This was an outrageous and brazen attack that happened in the middle of rush hour on a Monday morning, in which luckily, no one was injured.
Firearms have absolutely no place on London’s streets and we are carrying out a full and thorough investigation into locating this man and making sure that he appears before the courts.
We are following numerous leads, but are also appealing for anyone with any information to contact us as soon as possible.
On this occasion, no one was physically harmed, but no doubt the traumatic experience will affect the victim for years to come.
Those with any information are urged to contact the police.
If you have a story you want to tell send it to UNILAD via email@example.com
Read more: unilad.co.uk